St. Mark's Gospel
Click the underlined text to read the commentary for a particular phrase.
- Mark 1:15: The Kingdom of God is at hand;
repent and believe in the Gospel. (April 1977)
- Mark 1:15: Repent, and believe in the gospel.
- Mark 1:35: ... he rose and went out to a
lonely place, and there he prayed.
- Mark 3:35: Whoever does the will of God is my brother and
sister and mother.
- Mark 5:34: Daughter, your faith has made you well.
- Mark 5:36: Do not fear, only believe.
- Mark 6:31: Come away to a deserted place all
by yourselves and rest a while.
- Mark 7:15: There is nothing outside a man
which by going into him can defile him: but the things which come out of man
are what defile him. (August 1982)
- Mark 7:15: There is nothing outside a
person that, by going in, can defile, but the things that come out are what
defile. (September 2000)
- Mark 7:37: He makes the deaf hear and the
dumb speak. (January 2007)
- Mark 9:7: This is my beloved son; listen
to him. (February 1991)
- Mark 9:7: This is my son, the beloved. Listen to him!
- Matt 9:13: Go and learn what this means: "I desire
mercy, not sacrifice."
- Mark 9:35: If anyone would be the first,
he must be last of all and servant of all. (September 1985)
- Mark 9:35: Whoever wants to be first must be last of all
and servant of all. (September 1997)
- Mark 9:40: Whoever is not against us is
- Mark 9:41: Truly I tell you, whoever gives
you a cup of water to drink because you bear the name of Christ will by no
means lose their reward.
- Mark 9:45: If your foot causes your
downfall, cut it off: it is better to enter into life crippled than to keep
both your feet and be thrown into hell.
- Mark 10:14: Let the little children come to
me; do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of God
belongs. (Mark 10: 14)
- Mark 10:15: Anyone who does not welcome the kingdom of
God like a little child will not enter it. (October 1997)
- Mark 10:15: Whoever does not receive the kingdom of God
like a child shall not enter it. (October 1979)
- Mark 10:27: All things are possible with
- Mark 10:43: Anyone who wants to become
great among you must be your servant.
- Mark 12:29-30: Hear, O Israel: The Lord our
God, the Lord is one, and you shall love the Lord your God with all your
heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.
- Mark 12:30: You shall love the Lord your God with all
your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.
(c.f. Matt 22:37)
- Mark 12:33: To love God with all the
heart, with all the understanding, and with all the strength, and to love
one's neighbour as oneself, is much more than all whole burnt offerings and
- Mark 13:31: Heaven and earth will pass
away, but my words will not pass away.
- Mark 14:36: Not what I want, but what you